What does all this extra stuff get you? Nothing! So it’s time to detoxify that area of your home that’s a disorganized mess.
Let’s break it down into 5 steps:
- Set aside 2 hours – if you have little ones, bring in a babysitter or get your other half to cover
- Go through everything and sort into piles:
- Give to family/friends
- Garage sale or eBay
- Move to a more appropriate place in your home
- Seriously consider holding a garage sale each year – it’s easier to know your stuff will be enjoyed by someone else, and you receive a little money in return
- Unload stuff through a pick up donation service – find one that takes a variety of items (Donation Town can find one in your area). Avoid charities that only take items they can sell like the Salvation Army; also try The Freecycle Network ) or the “Free” area of Craigslist – you’ll be surprised how excited people get over anything that’s free
- If you have any reservations, store it in a box labeled, “Give away if not used by xx/xx/xxxx” [one year from now]
While it’s hard to purge, remember that “less is more” – your life will be better without the clutter.
Looking for more tips? Check out Real Simple’s Ultimate Guide to Getting Organized