In the movie I Don’t Know How She Does It (2011), the lead character (played by Sarah Jessica Parker), is put on an important work project in another city. The constant business travel, among other things, nearly ruins her marriage and career. Sure, it’s only a movie, but it’s also a sobering reality: business trips are so much harder for working moms vs. our male counterparts.
Should you find yourself juggling travel and family, try focusing on five key things:
- Your health is the #1 priority – Stay hydrated, rest up, carve out time for exercise, make healthy choices at the buffet, and stick to only one alcoholic beverage per day
- Plan travel strategically – Use early mornings/evenings to travel and minimize your time away
- Expect the unexpected – Undoubtedly your child will get sick while you’re gone, the hot water heater will break, or your flight will get delayed. Take it in stride.
- A little talk with the family is good for all – Use Skype or FaceTime for a few minutes each evening
- Make the most of it – Enjoy the break from your crazy life at home!
Where did these tips come from? Experience…or rather, learning from one’s mistakes. Happy travels working moms!
Looking for more tips: check out 10 Tips for Efficient Business Travel from U.S. News & World Report