When we think of gift giving, we typically focus on the winter holidays. But add up all the year-round occasions – birthday parties, weddings, baby showers, housewarmings, etc. – the time and money on just “gifting” can really add up.
So how can we get a handle on all this? We’re stressed for time, but want our gifts to be thoughtful, well-received, and affordable. Here are some tips to keep organized:
- Keep a box of greeting cards on hand – Have one for each major occasion and many options for birthdays, then replenish 1-2 times per year. Blank cards are great for the kids to decorate for friends and family.
- Shop year-round for gifts, and keep a record of your stash – See something on vacation that grandma would like? Buy it now and give it during the holidays. Visit craft fairs and stores like Homegoods to find both personalized and all-purpose gifts. Stock up, then record it in a journal so you don’t forget what you have on hand.
- When in a jam, go with a gift card – The recipient will always enjoy it. And for last-minute gifts, Amazon.com e-gift cards are immediate.
- Good gifts don’t have to be expensive – Memorable photos in a frame, anything the kids make, baked goods, or handmade items are easy and affordable.
- Online shopping is a beautiful thing – Try to make a habit of ordering a gift at the same time your accept an invitation. I’ve also found that an Amazon Prime membership can pay for itself pretty quickly and save time.