Have you ever walked into work on a monday, only to see your desk and think: “Oh dear, what a mess – and I thought I was getting away from the craziness at home…” ?
We spend at least 1/3 of our day at work, so having a disorganized workspace can add stress to you and impact others (i.e. appearances matter and your work space is a reflection of you – both as a worker and a person).
Here are some quick tips to turn your workspace in the zen, yet productive place:
- Find your vision – Look in decorating magazines for different ideas to serve as your inspiration.
- Clean up – Spend a day de-cluttering. Get rid of anything in your cube or office that you already have digital and put away as much as you can in file cabinets and drawers
- Make it yours – Invest in a nice desk set (I got mine handmade from Etsy.com for $60). Bring in a plant, a goldfish tank, throw pillows, framed art, or a yummy smelling diffuser. Check your basement for items from your old apartment that don’t fit in your home.
- Keep a productive stash – Having necessities on hand means you don’t have to go out and can stay productive. Here’s a quick shopping list: Gum, toothbrush and toothpaste, nail file, sewing kit, jar of Advil, tampons and pads, deodorant, hair clip, extra makeup, pantyhose, lightweight sweater or pashmina, umbrella, ready-to-eat can of soup, box of granola bars, 6-pack of V8, and Shout Wipes or a Tide To Go stick.
- Keep it up – Your workspace will stay zen if you clear off your desk each Friday afternoon before you leave for the weekend.